Monday, June 6, 2011

Step down converter repair

I recently received a stepdown in the post that was DOA. The seller offered a full refund but I thought I'd see what was wrong with it and whether I could bring it back to life.


First step was to check the fuse. That was fine. Next I needed to get inside it. It has security screws in it. The screws and required bit are pictured below.



I tested the fuse in its holder. No continuity. I opened up the holder to properly inspect it. It's shocking low quality! The holder is plastic with a thin foil overlay. You can see in the pic below that the foil had been worn away, breaking the circuit.

A friend desoldered the fuse holder and inserted another. It means I'll have to open it up if the fuse goes but I'm happy to get it up and running.



No comments:

Post a Comment